One of the most important things you can do when you’re buying a North County San Diego home is to create a wish list. Knowing what you want in a home will make your home search easier and less stressful. If your homebuying pursuits have been put on hold because of the pandemic, then use this time to create your wish list. When it’s time for you to begin your house-hunting in earnest, you’ll have a head start on the competition. Here are the questions you should ask yourself when deciding what to look for in a new North County Home.
How do you feel about your current home?
Start your list by examining your current living situation. Ask yourself these questions:
- What do I like best about my current home?
- What do I like least about my current home?
- Where do I spend the most time?
- Do I utilize all the spaces – is there anything here I don’t need?
- Does the style of my home suit my tastes?
- Do I like my neighborhood? What are its best and worst features?
How much space do you need?
Next, consider how much space you need in your new home with these questions:
- How many bedrooms do I need in my new home?
- How many bathrooms would be ideal?
- Do I need a room for a special purpose, such as a home office, home gym, or craft room?
- Do I plan to entertain at home? What kind of space would work best for parties?
What style of home would be best?
It’s also important to consider the style of the home by asking yourself these questions:
- Would I prefer living in a single-family home?
- Is a condo or townhouse a better option for my current living situation?
- How much maintenance do I want to take care of myself?
- Would I enjoy living in a home that is part of a homeowners association (HOA)?
- Would I prefer a home with an open layout?
- Should I buy a home that is on one-level, or would a multi-story home suite my needs better?
What kind of outdoor space would you like?
With our amazing Southern California weather, you should also think about what kind of outdoor living spaces you would like in your new home. Ask yourself these questions:
- Do I want a home with plenty of outdoor space?
- Do I want outdoor living spaces like an outdoor kitchen or dining area?
- Would I like to have a home with a swimming pool?
- How much time do I have to take care of the yard? Will I hire a gardener?
- Is there space to put in a vegetable garden?
- Do I need a garage, and will I use it for storage in addition to parking my cars inside of it?
- Does the outside of the home require excessive maintenance?
- Is curb appeal important to me?
What kind of neighborhood is best for you?
Finally, don’t forget to consider the neighborhood. Ask yourself these questions when deciding on where to focus your search:
- How important is it to me to have friendly neighbors?
- Would I prefer to live somewhere that is private?
- Are there amenities nearby within walking distance?
- How long will my commute be?
- Are there conveniences nearby such as gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants?
Who can help you find the perfect home?
When you’re just beginning your home search, it can be very helpful to work with a professional agent. The Cristine Clark & Jamie Gilman Team has been helping home buyers in North County San Diego find their dream homes for years. Contact us at 760-758-1211 or [email protected] and we’ll be happy to help you find yours!