This weekend event on July 19 and 20 celebrates the anniversary of Mission San Diego de Alcalá, the Mother of California’s 21 Missions, which was founded by Blessed Father Junipero Serra on July 16, 1769.
Each year in mid July, parishioners, volunteers and visitors all gather for one weekend to celebrate the beginning of Christianity in the western United States with food, entertainment, dancing and traditional activities like the Blessing of the Bells and the Blessing of the Animals. All five Mission bells are rung during the weekend festivities, including an original bell dating back to 1802. The Festival of the Bells is a great free family event and is a great opportunity for everyone to visit and learn more about this historical landmark.
International Food Court, Kids’ Fun Zone, Fiesta Keepsakes and Entertainment all weekend long!
Friday, July 18
- 5:00 to 9:00 PM: Friday Night at the Fiesta
Saturday, July 19
- 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM
- 12:00 PM: Blessing of the Bells – It is the only time of the year when all five bells are rung in unison and the only time during the weekend.
- Evenings filled with dancing under the stars
Sunday, July 20
- 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- 8:00 AM: Pancake Breakfast
- 11:00 AM: Fiesta Opens
- 12:00 PM: Anniversary Mass
- 3:00 PM: Blessing of the Animals