North County San Diego is one of the best places in Southern California to raise a family. Not only do we have some of the best school districts in the state, but we also have a wealth of resources for families. One of those shining jewels is the San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum. Founded 20 years ago in Escondido, this local treasure offers a seemingly endless variety of programs, activities, exhibits, and events for kids ages 0 – 10 and their families. Here are just some of the things you can discover at this popular institution.
The San Diego Discovery Museum believes that children learn through play. Their exhibits are geared toward allowing kids to explore and discover in a hands-on way. The museum consists of four main exhibit areas, which include:
- Discover: In the Discovery Garden, children can enjoy several interactive exhibits. These include the Water Wise table, Base Camp where they learn about archaeology and paleontology, and the Pollinator Garden.
- Experiment: Here children learn about science, technology, engineering, and math. Check out the Wind Tunnel, the Magnetic Ball Wall, the Light Table and more.
- Imagine: In this area, creativity is encouraged. Here, children learn about language, emotions, and artistic expression. Kids can enjoy playing on the Imagination Stage and putting on a show at the Puppet Theater.
- Explore: This exhibit focuses on history, social science, and world cultures. Set sail on the high seas on the Discovery Sailboat, or explore a market in the Global Village. The Toddler Tide Pool is a great place for younger children to explore foam block climbing structures.
Events & Programs
There are a huge variety of events and programs scheduled all throughout the year. Some of the most popular programs include:
- Weekly workshops – these include Music and Movement, Tinker, World Culture, Art, and Garden.
- Sensory Friendly Mornings – Held on the first Sunday of every month from 9 – 10 am, this program is geared toward families with children on the spectrum or with sensory sensitivities. Upcoming events will take place on September 1, October 6, and November 3.
- Fun Animal Fridays – On the last Friday of every month from 11 am to 12 pm, kids can meet animals, hear a story, and enjoy a themed craft or activity.
- Roots Series – This event series celebrates world cultures and highlights various cultural traditions in our community. The next Root Series event takes place on October 19 and features performances, crafts, costumes and more from Mexico.
The San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum is open Monday through Sunday from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm. In addition, they offer extended hours on Wednesdays until 7 pm. General admission is $8 per person; children under 12 months get in free. Active-Duty Military, Veterans and their families qualify for a discounted admission price of $5 per person. Those with an EBT card quality for $1 admission per person, up to four people. Annual memberships are available and parking is free. The museum is located at 320 North Broadway in Escondido.
Contact the Clark & Gilman Team
Are you ready to buy or sell a North County San Diego home? Then please contact the Cristine Clark & Jamie Gilman Team at 760-758-1211 or [email protected]. We’re ready to sit down with you personally to discuss all your real estate needs.